Coffee with a Cop, Yeronga
By Senior Constable Sandy Geary, myPolice South Brisbane
Original article HERE
On Friday May 31, Annerley officers were joined by their local Crime Prevention Unit and Volunteers in Policing (ViPs) for Coffee with a Cop at the Hyde Away Cafe, Yeronga.
The event was a great opportunity for local officers to meet with the community and discuss local issues, including the importance of home security.
Whilst speaking about home security, residents were reminded to maintain their home security at all times, and were provided with home security checklists to identify potential security risks around the home.
For those who weren’t able to attend, some of the security tips shared included:
- Lock all doors and windows;
- Keep the main entry/exit areas to your home well lit;
- Keep garage doors locked and secured;
- Ensure vehicles are locked and secured with all valuables removed including garage remote controls;
- Fit locks to internal doors that provide access to living areas from the garage and ensure they are locked and secured;
- Consider installing an alarm system;
- Ensure the removal of keys from security doors;
- Remove objects such as ladders and bins that may be used to gain access to higher levels; and
- Report all suspicious activity including suspicious vehicles to police.
A big thank-you to the staff at The Hyde Away Café who supported the event.